Welcome! My little group tries to make a
contribution to understand the physics of the large-scale ocean
the role of the ocean in the climate system through fundamental studies using concepts and methods from dynamical systems theory
Professor of Dynamical Oceanography
Honors and Awards
2009: Fellow Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Recent and Near Future Activities
LINC (Learning about Interacting Networks in Climate, FP7-ITN)
SAMOC (Stability of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, NWO)
eSALSA (An eScience Approach to determine future Local Sea-level chAnges, NLeSC).
COLOURMIX (Using satellite ocean colour observations to determine upper-ocean vertical mixing, NWO-NSO).
1. A. Cimatoribus, S.S. Drijfhout and H. A. Dijkstra. Meridional overturning circulation: stability and ocean feedbacks in a box model, Climate Dynamics, in press, (2013).
2. T. Sapsis and H. A. Dijkstra. Interaction of additive noise and nonlinear dynamics in the double-gyre wind-driven ocean circulation., J. Phys. Oceanography, 43, 366-381, (2013).
3. H. A. Dijkstra, T. Sengul, and S. Wang. Dynamic Transitions of Surface Tension Driven Convection, Physica D Nonlinear Phenomena, 247, 7-17, (2013)
4. W. Kramer and H. A. Dijkstra .Optimal localized observations for advancing beyond the ENSO predictability barrier, Nonl. Processes Geophysics, 20, 221-230, (2013).
5. R. Lohmann, E. Jurado, H. A. Dijkstra and J. Dachs, Vertical eddy diffusion as a key mechanism for removing perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) from the global surface oceans, Environmental Pollution, in press, (2013).
6. A. McHogg, H. A. Dijkstra and J. Saenz, The Energetics of a Collapsing Meridional Overturning Circulation, J. Phys. Oceanography, in press, (2013).
7. Z. Ziqing, M Mu and H. A. Dijkstra, Optimal nonlinear excitation of decadal variability of the North Atlantic thermohaline circulation, Chin. J. Ocean. Limn., in press, (2013).
8. Wang. Q., Mu Mu and H. A. Dijkstra, Optimal Precursors of the formation of Kuroshio Large Meander, J. Geophysical Research Oceans, 118, 869–884, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20084, (2013).
9. Van der Mheen, M. H. A. Dijkstra, A. Gozolchiani, Den Toom, M., Feng, Q., Kurths, J. and Hernandez-Garcia, E., Interaction network based early warning indicators for the Atlantic MOC collapse, Geophysical Research Letters, in press, (2013).
10. Z. Ziqing, M Mu and H. A. Dijkstra. Three-dimensional structure of optimal nonlinear excitation for decadal variability of the thermohaline circulation, Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Letters, in press, (2013).
Dewi Le Bars
MSc. students (2013): Claudia Wieners, Sara Loureiro Solla
BSc. students (2013): Adhra Ali
2009-2013: Division President Nonlinear Processes in the Geosciences, EGU (NP division website).
Editor: Earth System Dynamics
Chair (2006 - ): Scientific Committee National Computing Facilities Foundation
Past Member (research director) of the Board of the Department of Physics and Astronomy (2009 - 2011)
Past Chair: Earth Sciences Section, (2009 - 2011 ), Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences
Member of the Program Advisory Group of the UK-RAPID program (2007 - )
Russian translation has appeared 1/3/2008
1e edition (hardcover) for ~ E 84
1e edition will be published by Cambridge University Press in August 2013