Miscellaneous Pictures in Physics
G. 't Hooft
1: 2: 3: 4: 5: 6: 7: 8: 9:
1. The Highway through the Desert - Physics goes through a tremendous ranges of scales for size and energy per particle, to go from our present understanding of the particles in the Standard Model to our speculations as to what happens at the Planck Scale.
2. The Higgs field configuration for a magnetic monopole. There is no physical singularity at the centre, while there would be one in the older theories for magnetic monopoles.
3. Space-time model for the world sheets of stringlike particles forming a black hole, which in turn evaporates afterwards into similar (closed string) particles.
4. The simplest closed knot.
5. The arrangements of the most elementary particles in the Standard Model. Left(L) and right(R) helicities of the spinning fermionic particles are arranged differently.
6. Curved space(time) surrounding a heavy planet or star,
7. Planar diagram for a non-Abelian gauge theory.
8. Moebius strip
9. The double torus.
last update: 27/03/08