Argumentation theory is an interdiscipliniray field which attracts attention from
e.g. philosophers, logicians, computer scientists, linguists, legal scholars and speech communication theorists. Most of the
research in this field is informal. It is one of the sources of inspiration for my
own work and occasionally I publish in this field. I wrote a
for ISSA-02 on deductivism
and a paper for the Argumentation journal on the relevance of Toulmin's
The Uses of Argument for AI & Law, titled
AI & Law, logic and argument schemes. At ISSA-2010 I gave a talk with the best title I ever used: argumentation without arguments :-)
Workshops and Conferences
- Workshop on Formal Methods in Argument Reconstruction,
Konstanz (Germany), September 20-21, 2012.
- The 4th Tokyo Conference on Argumentation: The Role of Argumentation in Society.
Tokyo (Japan), August 10-12, 2012.
- Workshop on Bayesian Argumentation,
Lund (Sweden), October 22-23, 2010.
- International Conference on Logic, Argumentation and Critical Thinking ,
Santiago (Chile), October 7-9, 2010.
- Graduate Course on Bayesian Argumentation,
Lund (Sweden), 19-23 April 2010.
- The Promise of Reason: The New Rhetoric after Fifty Years.
The University of Oregon, (USA), May 17-20, 2008.
- Vijfde Symposium Juridische Argumentatie
Rotterdam, (Nederland), 22 juni 2007.
- ISSA Conferences on Argumentation.
Amsterdam (The Netherlands).
NCA/AFA Summer Argumentation Conferences
Alta, Utah (USA)
- OSSA Conferences on Argumentation 1995-2009, 2011. Windsor, Ontario (Canada).
- Symposium on Argument and Computation.
Pitlochry (Scotland), June 26 - July 3, 2000.
Books and journals
Frans van Eemeren
Other interesting links