I hold an appointment as full professor in Visual Data Analytics at the Department of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University. Before this, I worked as full professor of Multiscale Visual Analytics in the (SVCG) group at the Bernoulli Institute, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Groningen.
- information visualization and visual analytics (techniques, system design)
- big data multiscale visualization (large hierarchies, graphs, trail sets)
- visualization for AI (dimensionality reduction, explaining machine learning)
- shape/image processing (skeletonization, segmentation, fairing, reconstruction)
- interactive systems design (interaction and animation for data exploration)
- scientific visualization (GPU-based and PDE-based visualization techniques)
- program analysis (reverse engineering, software evolution, fact extraction and querying)
The Book: Data Visualization - Principles and Practice
My book (2nd edition published by CRC Press) gives a practical introduction to data visualization. It targets (under)graduate students and professionals interested in designing and implementing visualization applications to explore big data. Topics covered: scalar, vector, tensor, image, volume, and information visualization.
First edition: 2008. Second edition: 2014. Chinese edition: 2018. Over 5000 copies sold (2018).
Here are the main courses I deliver or have delivered. Links to courses here.
- Visual analytics for big data
- Scientific visualization
- Multimedia retrieval
- Software maintenance and evolution
- Computer graphics
- Software quality assurance and testing
I am supervising (have supervised) around 30 PhD students as thesis director. More information and links to theses here.
I have supervised 80+ MSc students as main director. Selected theses here.
My PhD research (2000) was on the design and implementation of VISSION, an application building environment for VIsualization and SImulation with Object-oriented Networks. VISSION offers object-oriented tools for scientific visualization and real-time interaction with running simulations, is easily extendable with user code, and creates visual programming tools and GUIs automatically from object-oriented code. VISSION proved (relevant at the time) that all one can achieve in Java can also be done in C++, only better, cleaner, and easier.
My work led to a successful (>2M EUR turnover) start-up company (SolidSource BV) specialized in tools and services for the visual analysis of big data for industry-scale software maintenance.