Professor of Software Technology at the School of Computer Science of the Open University for one day a week, teaching fellow of Utrecht University for another day, chairing the committee on learning and assessment, and associate professor Software Technology at the Institute of Information and Computing Sciences of Utrecht University.
I develop advanced methods for constructing software, and software technology to support teaching and learning.
Generic programs are programs that abstract over types. Generic programs can be used to address several common programming patterns.
- José Pedro Magalhães, Sean Leather, and I are working on several aspects of generic programming: efficiency of generated code, applications of generic programming, generic programming libraries, etc. This work is funded by NWO (`Real-life Datatype Generic Programming'), and the portuguese FCT.
- Andres Löh, Ralf Hinze, and I have developed Generic Haskell. Generic Haskell is an extension of the functional programming language Haskell, with which programs that work for large classes of datatypes can be written.
- Generic haskell is a sequel to PolyP (see Patrik Jansson's page about polytypic programming).
Teaching and Learning
The role of ICT in teaching and learning is increasing. We use advanced software technology to develop better tools for teaching and learning.
- In the Math-Bridge project we add feedback services to ActiveMath, and we develop on-line math-bridging courses.
- Together with Alex Gerdes and Bastiaan Heeren I am working on providing feedback in interactive learning tools for programming. We are developing a programming tutor for Haskell.
- Our feedback services are connected to the version of the Digital Mathematical Environment used by the series of Dutch mathematics text books `Getal en Ruimte'.
My publications appear on a separate page.
- Programme committee member of the The 25th symposium on Implementation and Application of Functional Languages, IFL 2013, to be held in Nijmegen, The Netherlands, August 2013.
- Programme committee member of the Workshop on Haskell And Rewriting Techniques, HART 2013, to be held in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, June 2013.
- General chair of the 19th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming, ICFP 2014, and member of the ICFP steering committee.
- Member of the ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Education Board.
- Secretary of IFIP WG2.1 on Algorithmic languages and calculi.
- General program chair of the 11th International Conference on Intelligent Computer Mathematics, Bremen, Germany, July 2012.
- Programme committee member of the 11th International Conference on Mathematics of Program Construction, MPC 2012, held in Madrid, Spain, June 2012.
- Member of the steering committee of the series of worshops on Generic Programming.
- Programme committee member of the 4th International Workshop on Approaches and Applications of Inductive Programming, Odense, Denmark, July 2011.
- Programme committee member of the 10th International Conference on Mathematical Knowledge Management, Bertinoro, Italy, July 2011.
- Programme committee member of the the 15th Brazilian Symposium on Programming Languages, SBLP 2011, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2011.
- Lecturer at the Central European School on Functional Programming, Budapest, June 2011.
- Programme committee member of the international meeting on E-learning and Mathematics, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, June 2011.
- Programme committee member of the 11th Workshop on Language Descriptions, Tools and Applications, LDTA 2011, held in Saarbrücken, Germany, 2011.
- Programme chair of the university education section of NIOC 2011, the Dutch conference on teaching computer science, held in Heerlen, The Netherlands, 2011.
In the last couple of years I taught the courses:
I have supervised more than 25 students working on their Master thesis through the years. I welcome master students that want to work on a topic related to my research interests.
I have several possibilities for experimentation projects: connecting our domain reasoners to Moodle by plugging in a special editor in Moodle; looking at possibilities for recognizing mathematical hand-writing; establishing a connection between Math4All and our domain reasoners, etc.
+31 30 2534115 work
+31 30 2711281 home
+31 6 40010053 mobile
Buys Ballot Laboratorium (BBL), 571
If you are an Indian student looking for a summer-internship, please have a look at our faq first, before you contact me.
Where am I?
- May 17 - 23, 2013, 3rd International Workshop on Games and Software Engineering (GAS 2013), San Francisco, USA
- July 1 - 5, 2013, IFIP WG2.1 meeting, Ulm, Germany
- September, 2013, International Conference on Functional Programming, ICFP 2013, Boston, USA
[9/03/2013] Our paper A DSL for describing the artificial intelligence in real-time video games (together with Tom Hastjarjanto and Sean Leather) has been accepted for the 3rd International Workshop on Games and Software Engineering (GAS 2013), 2013.
[8/03/2013] Ik spreek over onze domain reasoners voor wiskunde op de jaarvergadering van de Vlaamse vereniging van wiskundeleraars.
[5/03/2013] Utrecht University funds our project to develop a serious game for practicing communication skills.
[12/2012] Our paper Feedback genereren in leeromgevingen voor algebra. (in Dutch, together with Bastiaan Heeren) has appeared in the Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde, 2012.
[9/07/2012] Our paper Generic conversions of abstract syntax representations. (together with Steve Keuchel) has been accepted for the 8th ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Generic Programming, WGP 2012.
[9/07/2012] Our paper Ask-Elle: A Haskell tutor - Demonstration - (together with Alex Gerdes and Bastiaan Heeren) has been accepted for the 7th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2012.
[9/07/2012] Our paper Testing type class laws (together with Patrik Jansson and Cláudio Amaral) has been accepted for the 5th ACM SIGPLAN symposium on Haskell, Haskell 2012.
[9/07/2012] Our paper Teachers and students in charge - Using annotated model solutions in a functional programming tutor (together with Alex Gerdes and Bastiaan Heeren) has been accepted for the 7th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2012.
[23/04/2012] On June 13, 2012, I will deliver the key-note at the VSNU conference on Studiesucces: De vrijblijvendheid voorbij, on the role of teaching fellows at Utrecht University in general, and my activities related to learning and assessment in particular.
[27/02/2012] Our paper An interactive functional programming tutor (together with Alex Gerdes and Bastiaan Heeren) has been accepted for the 17th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITICSE 2012.
[31/01/2012] Our paper Probability estimation and a competence model for rule based e-tutoring systems (together with Diederik M. Roijers and Ad Feelders) has been accepted for the Second International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge.
[20/01/2012] An interview (in Dutch) about my activities as a teaching fellow at Utrecht University.
[13/12/2011] I am talking at the Mini-symposium Algebra & ICT about hints and feedback in learning environments for algebra.
[1/10/2011] The Software technology group ot the OUNL has started a cooperation with the DFKI and the University of Saarland to set up a common laboratory in CelTech. We will particularly study interactive tutoring systems, such as Math-Bridge for mathematics, and for other sciences. See the press release (in Dutch).
[7/7/2011] Our paper Generic programming for indexed datatypes (together with José Pedro Magalhães) has been accepted for the Workshop on Generic Programming 2011.
[01/06/2011] We finished our lecture notes on a programming tutor for Haskell (Johan Jeuring, Alex Gerdes, and Bastiaan Heeren) for the Central European School on Functional Programming, which will be held this summer.
[06/05/2011] Our paper Interleaving strategies (Bastiaan Heeren and Johan Jeuring) has been accepted for publication in the proceedings of the Conference on Intelligent Computer Mathematics, 2011, to be held in Bertinoro, Italy, this summer.
[13/11/2010] Our paper Properties of exercise strategies (together with Alex Gerdes and Bastiaan Heeren) has been accepted for publication in the Proceedings of IWS 2010: 1st International Workshop on Strategies in Rewriting, Proving, and Programming.
[16/10/2010] Our work on calculating feedback for interactive mathematical exercises is used as an example of validation of research in the Annual report 2009 of the Dutch research universities (pdf english, pdf dutch).